Modern homes are designed for energy efficiency by being well-sealed. A thoroughly insulated home retains heated or cooled air inside, but one of the side effects of a sealed house is the lack of air circulation. Inadequate airflow inside the home can lead to poor air quality and increase the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. At its most extreme, carbon monoxide gas can lead to death, while at lesser levels, it may cause severe headaches, dizziness, nausea, and unconsciousness. Reduce the risk of carbon monoxide in the home. Here are facts about the dangers of this gas and how to keep your living spaces safe.

Things to Know About Carbon Monoxide in the Home

What is CO Gas?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, and poisonous gas resulting from the incomplete combustion of fuels. Fuel-burning appliances like your furnace, water heater, gas stove, and fireplace can leak carbon monoxide if improperly vented.

Detecting Carbon Monoxide

If you use fuel-burning appliances in your home, carbon monoxide detectors are essential. These devices detect the presence of CO gas in the air and alert you if it reaches dangerous levels. Install CO detectors on every floor of the property and close to sleeping areas because people are most vulnerable when asleep.

Good Ventilation Combats Carbon Monoxide in the Home

Proper ventilation is important in preventing carbon monoxide buildup in your home. Make sure appliances that rely on combustion are correctly vented and the vents are clean and open. Blocked vents affect the flow of carbon monoxide and may release it into your house.

Regularly inspect fuel-powered appliances and their ventilation systems to verify they function as intended. Don’t use unvented space heaters, charcoal grills, or generators indoors, as they release carbon monoxide into the living spaces.

Take Action in Case of a Leak

If a CO detector sounds an alarm or you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, immediate action is necessary. Open all windows and doors to allow fresh air into the home, turn off appliances that burn fuel, and evacuate the house. Do not delay going outside or wait for the symptoms to worsen. Seek medical attention immediately, even if you feel fine.

Carbon monoxide gas is a serious concern that poses health risks in a home. Regular maintenance and inspections of fuel-burning appliances and proper ventilation help prevent the accumulation of CO gas indoors. Install detectors to alert the household to dangerous levels of CO. With these steps, you can protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

H&E Inspection Services provides professional inspections to homebuyers and sellers in the Orlando and Central Florida areas. Contact us to schedule an appointment for our services.